Peter Bourjos is so fast…
True or False:
1. Peter Bourjos is so fast that cheetahs at the zoo bow when he passes, acknowledging his superior speed.
2. Peter Bourjos is so fast that he can pitch to himself at the plate, smack a hard liner toward the wall and then rush out to centerfield to make the catch, Bugs Bunny style.
3. Peter Bourjos is so fast that I was struck dumb trying to figure out how to write this last night.
4. Peter Bourjos is soooooooooo fast that he hit an inside the park homerun, crossing home plate in less than 15 seconds and all after hardly more than trotting until he rounded 1st.
5. Peter Bourjos is so fast that MLBN will be showing snippets of this highlight all season.
Well, the 4th statement is absolutely true and it was one of the most exciting, beautiful to behold things I have watched in a baseball game. I only wish I was actually there to see it, cold weather and all, instead of watching from home. If you watched Bourjos’ inside the park homerun last night or saw it later in the highlight reels, then you know that the 5th statement is sure to be true. You’ll have take my word that the 3rd statement is true. And as for the 1st and 2nd statements? While there is no hard data unequivocally proving them to be true, the wealth of anecdotal evidence prevents us from assigning them a false label either. Clearly the research should continue.
Of course any story containing such fantastic feats of skill should have a happy ending for our hero’s side, right? Oh, absolutely, and yet this one did not. And that’s baseball – jubilation and torture, agony and ecstasy. Often all in the course of one game…sometimes even in the course of one inning.
The Angels did a lot of good things last night. There were also a few unwelcome overtones of the 2011 season. But this season is still in its infancy. And Peter Bourjos is so amazingly, stupendously fast that I really don’t want to write about anything but that today. Well done, Fleet Pete!!
* * * * *
And as for feats of skill and amazement today, Mark Trumbo apparently isn’t buying this whole ‘it’s really hard to hit homeruns out of Target Field’ thing. I love our young Angels! You guys are making my season yet again.